Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Center of attention

I always seem to remember the centerpieces from the wedding receptions I've attended.

The most impressive I've ever seen was a 4-foot tall vase with a huge spray of red orchids. It was absolutely amazing.

I know there's been a fair share of depressing little silk flowers in a vase surrounded by confetti, too.

I don't want reception centerpieces that make up a fourth of my budget (even though they were so beautiful, they really did fit the couple well). I also don't want to deprive my guests of something pretty for the sake of time and money.

We will be using long banquet tables for the reception. I want to make it feel like a beautiful outdoor picnic. A friend of my mother's has offered to make table runners, which is awesome. I'm thinking that we can use complete solids or some bold kind of print.

The print on the left is from Ikea. As I look at it, it may be a little too flowery, but it is definitely a start. I am going for a modern romance kind of thing.

I am hoping that whatever centerpiece I choose will play up the length of the tables. The picture on the right isn't a great example, but I like it anyway (courtesy of martha stewart weddings). The colors are just about right, too.

There's always the option of incorporating our favors into the centerpieces. If we make the favors pretty enough, then we won't have to do any sizable pieces at all.
I haven't even really looked into renting linens yet. I love the colored linens in the right and left pictures (once again, courtesy of Martha). Our colors are Blue (a powder variation and also a darker cornflower) and Orange red.

Powder blue linens with a white runner and red-orange centerpieces would be lovely.

The thought of using small bowls for my flowers has crossed my mind, as well. I entertained the thought of using the bowls we registered for do display the centerpieces, but that could be such a risk.

So many options, so little table space!

No comments: